At a Glance
- The ISS National Lab R&D portfolio has an estimated addressable market of more than $110 billion and has the potential to bring significant and tangible value to the U.S. taxpayer.
- From more than 100 proposals, CASIS selected 45 new ISS National Lab projects inFY17, 70% from new-to-space customers.
- New project selections include projects from HP Enterprise, Goodyear, Time, The Michael J. Fox Foundation, and MIT.
- More than 35 additional payloads from commercial service providers were also added to the ISS National Lab manifest in FY17.
- The CASIS-selected R&D portfolio leverages more than $107 million in non-NASA, non-CASIS funding.
The ISS is expanding the frontiers of science and innovation by supporting R&D across multiple sectors and disciplines. CASIS empowers nontraditional users to reach R&D objectives onboard the ISS National Lab, leading the effort with NASA to maximize ISS utilization. Moreover, from Fortune 500 companies to innovative startups, the ISS National Lab is enabling an era of increased commercial research in microgravity.
More than 100 project proposals were considered in FY17, and details about selected organizations and project types are shown below. For full project details, see the project pipeline. Of note, the private sector utilization shown below is augmented by projects from commercial facility managers; for example, in FY17, more than 35 additional payloads were added to the ISS National Lab manifest from commercial service providers, who are attracting a growing customer base.
High-profile CASIS selections in FY17 include projects from Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Goodyear, Time, The Michael J. Fox Foundation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Budweiser, Sanofi Pasteur, and two projects from AstraZeneca-MedImmune.
ISS NATIONAL LAB DIMENSIONS OF IMPACT
Current data regarding the potential value and impact of the full CASIS-selected ISS National Lab R&D portfolio include:
FY17 Key Achievements
1M+: Social media engagement in FY17 through social media accounts managed by CASIS
750,000+: Education Community Engagement in FY17 via ISS National Lab partner programs and outreach activities
108: Peer-reviewed publications to date (FY05–17) resulting from ISS National Lab R&D
CASIS-selected Projects by Organization Type, FY12-17
- $107M+: external (non-NASA non-CASIS) funding leveraged
- 20+: projects sponsored by a non-NASA government agency
Fast Facts about the FY17-selected projects:
- 50%+: life sciences projects co-sponsored by the National Institutes of Health or another third party
- 55%+: physical sciences projects co-sponsored by the National Science Foundation or another third party
- 75%+: education projects involving commercial sponsorship
- 70%+: projects from new-to-space customers
- $6M+: awarded by CASIS in FY17 to support these projects and related programs